Photo credit Amanda Domingues Mike Penketh was a Marine fighter pilot, warbird pilot, airline pilot, air …
ADS-B enables increased capacity and efficiency by supporting:
- Better ATC traffic flow management
- Merging and spacing
- Self-separation or station keeping
- Enhanced visual approaches;
- Closely spaced parallel approaches;
- Reduced spacing on final approach;
- Reduced aircraft separations;
- Enhanced operations in high altitude airspace for the incremental evolution of the “free flight” concept;
- Surface operations in lower visibility conditions;
- Near visual meteorological conditions (VMC) capacities throughout the airspace in most weather conditions;
- Improved air traffic control services in non-radar airspace;
- Trajectory-based operations providing a gently ascending and descending gradient with no step-downs or holding patterns needed. This will produce optimal trajectories with each aircraft becoming one node within a system wide information management network connecting all equipped parties in the air and on the ground. With all parties equipped with NextGen equipage, benefits will include reduced gate-to-gate travel times, increased runway utilization capacity, and increased efficiency with carbon conservation.
- Use of ADS-B and CDTI may allow decreased approach spacing at certain airports to improve capacity during reduced-visibility operations when visual approach operations would normally be terminated (e.g., ceilings less than MVA +500).
- ADS-B In Requirements
- ADS-B Out will be required in the following airspace:
- Class A, B, and C airspace
- Class E airspace areas at or above 10,000 ft MSL over the 48 states and DC, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 ft AGL
- Airspace within 30 nautical miles (nm) at certain busy airports from the surface up to 10,000 feet MSL; airports listed in appendix D to part 91.
- Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area up to 10,000 feet MSL
- Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico at and above 3,000 feet MSL within 12 nm of the coastline of the United States
As our way to help you celebrate the New Year, we’re offering a huge discount on the Hamfist Trilogy!
You can download the book in the e-book format of your choice at Smashwords, and use coupon code GJ73Z for a 50% discount.